Safety at work

  • Find it in the Law:
    Law on Occupational Safety, Health and the Working Environment
  • Who is responsible:
    You and your employer
  • Who can help me:
    Labor Inspectorate, Competent Court, Ombudsperson Institution in Kosovo
Tags: , , , ,

Are you working in a dangerous environment and/or have suffered physical or mental injury while performing your duties? The Law on Occupational Safety, Health and the Working Environment obliges your employer to make sure that working conditions are safe, that you are best informed on how to deal with any risks involved, and to pay compensation for any damages incurred while performing the duties you are supposed to do according to your contract. If your employer does not create safe working conditions, the state can issue fines to the employer which, depending on the type of safety breach, may range from 100 EUR to 35,000 EUR. You can also be held personally accountable for any safety breaches and thus have to consult all necessary safety regulations and manuals, such as for example the manuals of using machinery that could hurt others.

Before you embark upon your job, you need to make sure that you understand all the safety regulations of your duties, especially the risks involved, since whatever you are doing can cause damage to yourself and those around you. Your employer should also provide sufficient information on the safety risks and make sure that all necessary measures are taken to protect your health and safety. If such measures are not undertaken, you may take up the issue with respective bodies within your company (eg. Human resources office).

You may work in an environment that is unsafe where your employer is not taking the necessary precautions to ensure you and your co-workers are safe, despite your appeals. In this case, you could alert the Labor Inspectorate which has a mandate to ensure that working environments are in line with legal standards. If you have been damaged physically or mentally due to your work conditions, you may also seek compensation through a Competent Court, or seek legal guidance from the Ombudsperson Institution in Kosovo.


Related Entries

Powered By

Supported By