Your right to get financial aid at public universities

  • Find it in the Law:
    Law on Higher Education in Republic of Kosovo
  • Who is responsible:
    Public University where you attend your lectures
  • Who can help me:
    Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
Tags: , ,

Let’s say that you are a young ambitious person who comes from a very poor family. You want to study in the University, but you don’t see how you’d cover the costs. You must know that some legal provisions guarantee assistance in covering cost of studying at public universities in the country. More specifically, you are eligible to get financial assistance that would reduce or eliminate the cost of registration as well as administrative or attendance fees, if you meet the following criteria:

a) your family receives social assistance or has no source of income
b) you are a war invalid
c) you lost one parent during the war
d) you have a disability
c) you are the third child in your family that is enrolled at university at the same time

You can apply for financial assistance at your public university directly. The university will need first to verify your eligibility to receive a financial assistance.

- If you are getting social assistance, you need a certificate from your municipality’s Center for Social Work. If you have no sources of income, you need proof from the municipality’s Employment Office and the Department of Economy and Finance that no one in your family works or owns a business.

-  If you are a war invalid, you must submit one certificate from a doctor and one from the Association of War Invalids.

-  If you lost one of your parents in the war, you need to get a certificate from your municipal Civil Registration Office which will confirm this situation.

- Students with special needs need to get a certificate from a doctor which confirms their disability.

The list of students who are waved from fees should be announced before the semester registration. The Law on Higher Education obliges the Ministry of Education to take measures in case the rights for financial assistance are infringed upon.

These rights are enshrined in the Law on Higher Education (Article 32 “Financial Support for Students”) and various provision in the Law on Status of Rights of Martyrs, Invalids, Veterans, KLA Members, Civilian Victims and their families. The more specific eligibility criteria and procedural dimensions are addressed in Administrative Instruction 24/2012 “On student categories for assistance and conditions for getting assistance”.


Related Entries

Powered By

Supported By