Transferring to another school

  • Find it in the Law:
    Administrative Instruction 16/2011 of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
  • Who is responsible:
    The school you’re applying to
  • Who can help me:
    Municipal Directorate of Education, Ministry of Education
Tags: , ,

As an upper high school student, you have the right to change your school, even if it has a different subject orientation from your previous school. This means, for example, that you can move from a general gymnasium to a technical school. You are eligible for such a change if you are moving from another city/village or country, but also if you can document other legitimate reasons for having left your previous school, such as physical disabilities.

You have to address a transfer request to the school to around the end of a semester. You have to submit a range of documents: school records (certificates, grades), verifications of such certificates (ex. Validation of degrees by Ministry of Education if you are coming from abroad), a document which verifies the reasons why you are changing schools, proof of residence, etc. Upon a favorable decision on your eligibility, you would be required to take a test for those subjects not covered in your previous school. The school director appoints a committee to administer the test.

The legal framework does not specify any mechanisms or second-layers through which you can challenge appeal decisions beyond the level of the institution that is tasked with the evaluation. Nonetheless, if you feel strongly that you’ve been treated unfairly, you could try and direct your case to the institution which supervises the evaluating institution at hand (ex. the Municipal Department of Education, if the complaint is about a grade received at school).


Related Entries

Powered By

Supported By