Social assistance for low income families

  • Find it in the Law:
    Law on Social Assistance Scheme in Kosovo, Law No. 04/L-096 on Amendment to the Law on Social Assistance Scheme in Kosovo, Administrative Instruction 08/2004 “On the verification of material conditions of families applying for social welfare”
  • Who is responsible:
    Centre for Social Work
  • Who can help me:
    Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, Ombudsperson Institution
Tags: ,

Your family does not have any sources of income to meet basic needs? You should know that you could be eligible for social assistance from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare. The Law on Social Assistance in Kosovo states that you could be eligible for social assistance from the state if you meet the following non-financial criteria: a) if no-one in your family is able to work or; b) if one family member is able to work but there is a child in your family who is under the age of 5.  First you would need to be verified for eligibility, to make sure that you do not have any other sources of income. Your family is not eligible for social assistance if anyone is receiving any other form of assistance – retirement pensions, disability pensions, etc. The amount of money that you could get depends on the number of family members and the estimated cost of food prices. The total amount changes and is periodically adjusted by the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Social Welfare to reflect the cost of living. Currently you could be eligible for a range of between 40-80 EUR. Families that receive social assistance are also eligible for a child supplement for every child until the age of 18.  The social assistance measure is temporary and lasts for up to six months, at which point you have to reapply for renewal. During this period you will have to demonstrate that you are making efforts – if it is possible – to find a job.

Applications for social assistance in Kosovo are processed through municipal Centres of Social Work. You have to be at least 16 years old in order to submit an application. You need to submit a range of documents to be considered, such as: cadastral records on land owned, documents on cars owned, property tax certificate, unemployment verification document, etc. Check with your Centre for Social Work on the full list of requirements. Once you’ve applied, representatives from the Centre for Social Work will visit your premises to verify your living conditions.

If you feel like your request for social assistance was unjustly denied, you can file an appeal to an Appeals Commission within the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare. You need to file the appeal within 14 days once you’ve received notice of rejection. If the appeal towards the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare has no any positive outcome and you continue to think that you deserve it, you can always address the Ombudsperson Institution in Kosovo.


Related Entries

Powered By

Supported By