Compensation for victims of crime

  • Find it in the Law:
    Law on crime victim compensation
  • Who is responsible:
    The Crime Victim Compensation Committee is responsible on reviewing and deciding on applications/requests for damage compensation.
  • Who can help me:
    The Ministry of Justice is responsible to provide general guidance and information on how to complete an application. In case you feel that the Crime Victim Compensation Committee has not taken a right decision, you can file a complaint at a competent court or address the matter to the Ombudsperson Institution.

Let’s say that you have been a victim of a crime. You should know that based on the Law on Crime Victim Compensation there are legal provisions in place that allow you to get compensation for the damage caused. You need to apply for such compensation within foreseen legal deadline in compliance with the Law on Crime Victim Compensation.

You may seek compensation for the following damages: serious physical injuries or impairments of health, serious disturbances to mental health; loss of capacity to work; medical and hospitalization expenses; funeral expenses; damages for destroyed medical devices or procedural expenses for filling an application.

In order to be able to claim compensation, the damages need to be of a serious nature, such as injuries that last more than six weeks or with permanent and long-term consequences. You can get the compensation in a considerable amount dependable from the type of compensation.

The request for immediate access to compensation to a victim may be filed if a person entitled to compensation under this Law is a child or a foreign victim of trafficking and the perpetrator remains unknown for three (3) months from the disclosure or criminal offense reporting.


Related Entries

Powered By

Supported By